Racism is a social, economic and ethical problem that has existed for several centuries. Although awareness is on the rise, and the overt, aggressive incidents are fewer in number, racism continues to exist in the UK. Minority groups and individuals belonging to different ethnicities face subtle, indirect racial discrimination in several ways.
Racial discrimination exists in schools and offices and affects diverse populations in many ways. It not only affects mental, emotional and physical wellbeing but also impacts other spheres of life.
As a nation, the UK stands to benefit greatly by harnessing the talents of ethnic minorities and ensuring that every individual is treated with respect and dignity. Whether it’s a tourist visiting Britain or an immigrant who has settled here, minority populations should be able to enjoy equal rights and opportunities.
What You Will Learn
- What racism is, and how it manifests itself in different ways
- Common jargon and related terms that are often used to describe issues related to racism
- Legal acts and laws in the UK that are designed to combat racism
- How racism originated from colonial times and evolved into its present form
- The effects and types of racism
- Racism in schools and workplaces and steps to mitigate the problem
Benefits of Taking This Course
- You can examine your own beliefs and attitudes about others
- You will be able to acknowledge the problem and become more alert to indications of it
- As a parent, you can train your child to develop an anti-racist attitude
- You will learn to treat people from other cultures with respect and dignity
- As a boss or manager, you can create a harmonious culture that promotes equal opportunities for every employee
Who can take the course?
Anyone who has an interest in learning more about this subject matter is encouraged to take the course. There are no entry requirements to take the course.
What is the structure of the course?
The course is broken down into 4 individual modules. Each module takes between 20 and 90 minutes on average to study. Although you are free to spend as much or as little time as you feel necessary on each module, simply log in and out of the course at your convenience.
Where / when can I study the course?
You can study the course any time you like. Simply log in and out of the web based course as often as you require. The course is compatible with all computers, tablet devices and smart phones so you can even study while on the move!
Is there a test at the end of the course?
Once you have completed all modules there is a multiple choice test. The questions will be on a range of topics found within the modules. The test, like the course, is online and can be taken a time and location of your choosing.
What is the pass mark for the final test?
The pass mark for the test is 70%. If you don’t pass the test first time you will get further opportunities to take the test again after extra study. There are no limits to the number of times you can take the test. All test retakes are included within the price of the course.
When will I receive my certificate?
Once you have completed your test you can log in to your account and download/print your certificate any time you need it.
How long does it take to complete the course?
We estimate that the course will take about 4 hours to complete in total, plus an additional 30 minutes for the end of course test.
Module 01: An Overview of Racism
- The definition of racism
- Types of racism
- Common terms used when discussing racism
Module 02: The Evolution of Racism and Cultural Awareness
- The development of racism
- Why racism still exists
- The effects of racism
- The importance of being culturally aware
Module 03: Anti-Racism Laws in the UK
- The laws in force to address racism in the UK
- The types of racial discrimination
- How to tackle racism in schools
Module 04: How to Combat Racism at Work
- The common signs of workplace racism
- How to eliminate racism in the workplace
Need to train your Team? Contact Us for Discounts on Multiple Subscription Purchases.
Course Access: Lifetime
Exams Included: Yes
Compatibility: All major browsers / devices