PLEASE NOTE: Completion of this course does not result in a degree of midwifery or qualify participants to practise professionally. This course is not linked to the NMC.
The Introduction to Midwifery Certificate course is filled with instruction that will put you on the path to beginning a career as a successful midwife.
Midwifery is one of the oldest professions in the world. The basic role of a midwife is to care for and support pregnant women and their babies before, during, and after giving birth. This course will cover several concepts associated with midwifery, including the history of the profession, how to become a midwife, and how to practice as a midwife.
This online course provides students with a comprehensive training program that allows them to study whenever and wherever is convenient. Many enrolled students still work full time and maintain an active lifestyle while pursuing their degrees.
To access the study material for the midwifery course, you will need any device with a valid internet connection. In addition, while you study, you are eligible to receive online support.
Once you have successfully completed this course, and a multiple-choice exam, you will be awarded your certificate. Your certificate can be downloaded and printed from home, or for a small cost, we can post it to you.
You Will Learn:
The Midwifery course offers students a comprehensive overview of the roles of a midwife. This course will cover:
- The origin and definition of midwifery
- The history of midwifery from the ancient to modern times
- Roles of a midwife
- The educational requirements for becoming a midwife
- Qualifying as a midwife in the UK
- Responsibilities of a midwife
- Midwife practices around the world
- Women’s rights and birth options
- The principles of midwifery and cultural awareness
- Antenatal care and screening
- How midwives support women through labor and birth
- The aims of postnatal care as a midwife
- The importance of breastfeeding
- Blood pressure monitoring and pre-eclampsia
- Infection control and hygiene
- The female anatomy
- Medications and pregnancy
- Emergencies and cesarean section
- Initial baby check and examination
- Conditions with labor and pregnancy
- Mental health issues in pregnancy
Benefits of Taking this Course
Students working towards achieving a certificate in Midwifery will see a variety of benefits. These include the following:
- The ability to study from home, or anywhere with a convenient internet connection.
- Study at a pace that is comfortable for you. Since there is no time limit for this course, you will complete your studies, regardless of how long it takes you.
- You can study training material on any device including computers, tablets, or mobile phones.
- The ability to easily manage modules and understand course structure.
- Convenient online support available while you train.
- The opportunity to access a comprehensive syllabus that will assist you in acquiring the knowledge necessary to fast track you in the process to becoming a midwife.
- The opportunity to gain prospects while applying for work or volunteer opportunities in the industry.
- A certified and recognized certificate upon successful course completion.
- An affordable pricing structure.
Who can take the course?
Anyone who has an interest in learning more about this subject matter is encouraged to take the course. There are no entry requirements to take the course.
What is the structure of the course?
The course is broken down into 28 individual modules. Each module takes between 20 and 90 minutes on average to study. Although you are free to spend as much or as little time as you feel necessary on each module, simply log in and out of the course at your convenience.
Where / when can I study the course?
You can study the course any time you like. Simply log in and out of the web-based course as often as you require. The course is compatible with all computers, tablet devices, and smartphones so you can even study while on the move!
Is there a test at the end of the course?
Once you have completed all modules there is a multiple-choice test. The questions will be on a range of topics found within the modules. The test, like the course, is online and can be taken a time and location of your choosing.
What is the pass mark for the final test?
The pass mark for the test is 70%. If you don’t pass the test the first time you will get further opportunities to take the test again after extra study. There are no limits to the number of times you can take the test. All test retakes are included within the price of the course.
When will I receive my certificate?
Once you have completed your test you can log in to your account and download/print your certificate any time you need it.
How long does it take to complete the course?
We estimate that the course will take about 20 hours to complete in total, plus an additional 30 minutes for the end of course test.