Educational psychology is essentially the study of how individuals learn. Once primarily focussed on the development of children from infancy through to adolescence, the discipline has expanded over time to also include the adult learning process and this course will take you by the hand and guide you through all of the relevant concepts.
The field of educational psychology looks at the process by which humans learn and store knowledge, especially in educational settings and takes into account the emotional, social and cognitive factors involved. Although educational psychologists can use a wide variety of theoretical perspectives to evaluate problems within educational settings, there are 5 perspectives that are commonly relied upon. These are the behavioural, developmental, cognitive, social cognitive and constructivist perspectives.
This course will introduce you to all the relevant facts and details connected with the field of educational psychology. It will also help you to apply this discipline in typical scenarios in our modern world and help you to better understand why there are calls for such professionals within the workplace and educational settings.
What you will learn in this introduction to course
- An overview of educational psychology
- The history of educational psychology and the key figures that have contributed to this branch
- A detailed look at the field of behavioural psychology
- Investigating the 5 perspectives that are most associated with the field of educational psychology
- A look at cognitive psychology
- Gaining an understanding of Schema Theory
- A look at developmental psychology and how it relates to educational psychology
- The theories of Sigmund Freud and Jean Piaget
- A look at the concept of nature versus nurture
- Introduction to the concept of Constructivism
- Introduction to the concept of Motivation
- An explanation of Intrinsic and Extrinsic Motivation
- Gain a good overview of the learning disability of dyslexia ADHD in good detail
- A look at other learning disabilities that an educational psychologist is likely to deal with during their career
- Applying educational psychology to teaching
- How this course work can be applied to a career in psychology
Benefits of the course
- Learn about the dynamic field of educational psychology
- Activities and quizzes throughout each module to check your knowledge
- Easy to follow course material
- Learn about the theories and practices connected with educational psychology and their real-world applications
- The ability to study from any location with an internet connection
- Learn the material at any time and at your own pace.
- Lifetime access to the course – no deadlines.
Who can take the course?
Anyone who has an interest in learning more about this subject matter is encouraged to take the course. There are no entry requirements to take the course.
What is the structure of the course?
The course is broken down into 10 individual modules. Each module takes between 20 and 90 minutes on average to study. Although you are free to spend as much or as little time as you feel necessary on each module, simply log in and out of the course at your convenience.
Where / when can I study the course?
You can study the course any time you like. Simply log in and out of the web based course as often as you require. The course is compatible with all computers, tablet devices and smart phones so you can even study while on the move!
Is there a test at the end of the course?
Once you have completed all modules there is a multiple choice test. The questions will be on a range of topics found within the modules. The test, like the course, is online and can be taken a time and location of your choosing.
What is the pass mark for the final test?
The pass mark for the test is 70%. If you don’t pass the test first time you will get further opportunities to take the test again after extra study. There are no limits to the number of times you can take the test. All test retakes are included within the price of the course.
When will I receive my certificate?
Once you have completed your test you can log in to your account and download/print your certificate any time you need it.
How long does it take to complete the course?
We estimate that the course will take about 15 hours to complete in total, plus an additional 30 minutes for the end of course test.