This Dysphagia Care training course is suited to nurses, care staff, health care assistants, dietitians, or anyone that works with people with dysphagia. Increase your staff's knowledge and understanding of dysphagia with this online course.
Dysphagia can really harm a person's quality of life and lead to malnutrition, chest infections, and choking incidents. It is estimated over 50% of residents in care homes will have a degree of dysphagia. It is vital your staff learn the correct skills and knowledge to be able to provide safe care to those with dysphagia.
This online Dysphagia Care training course will teach your employees what dysphagia is, the 4 phases of swallowing, the signs and symptoms of dysphagia, understand SLT, how and when to make referrals, diet and fluids, and how to support those with dysphagia.
Upon successful completion, learners will be able to instantly download their Dysphagia Care certificate.
On completion of this Dysphagia Care training course, learners should know and understand the following:
What is dysphagia care?
- Learn what dysphagia is
4 phases of swallowing
- Know the 4 phases of swallowing
- Learn the different types of dysphagia
Causes of dysphagia
- Understand what causes dysphagia
Signs and symptoms of dysphagia
- Learn the signs and symptoms of dysphagia
Physical and mental consequences
- Know the physical and mental consequences of dysphagia
The impact dysphagia has
- Understand the impact dysphagia has on people's quality of life
Signs and symptoms of choking
- Learn the signs and symptoms of choking and adverse reactions
What is choking?
- Learn and understand what choking is and it's relationship to swallowing difficulties
SLT and referrals
- Understand SLT and how and when to make referrals
Diet and fluids
- Understand diet and fluids
International dysphagia diet standardisation initiative (IDDSI)
- Understand the international dysphagia diet standardisation initiative (IDDSI)Course Outline
The aim of this Dysphagia Care training course is to greater increase your understanding of Dysphagia Care, its causes, and its signs and symptoms.The key points covered in this course are:
- What is dysphagia care?
- 4 phases of swallowing
- Different dysphagia
- Causes of dysphagia
- Signs and symptoms of dysphagia
- Physical and mental consequences
- The impact dysphagia has
- Signs and symptoms of choking
- What is choking?
- SLT and referrals
- Diet and fluids
- International dysphagia diet standardisation initiative (IDDSI)
This course takes between 1-2 hours to complete and gain your certificate.Entry and Level:
There are no barriers to entry on this training online course. This is an awareness course, suitable for all.Certification:
On completion of this online course, either download your certificate or access it at a later date online. Accreditation:
This course is CPD accredited and delivered by a Skills for Care endorsed provider. It meets accepted Continuing Professional Development (CPD) guidelines.