You will look at the key principles of valid consent with adults who have capacity, how and when staff should seek consent, the different ways consent can be given and how staff should respond when consent is refused. You will also looks at ‘Gillick competence’ and how this principle is used when seeking consent from children and young people.
You will look at the key principles of consent when the adult may not have the capacity to make decisions. It includes examples of the different occasions when someone may not have capacity and also the fluid and fluctuating nature of capacity.
The course covers the different actions staff may need to take in seeking consent, including best interest decisions, emergency situations, advance decisions to refuse treatment and lasting powers of attorney.
- Improve your career prospects.
- Learn valuable knowledge, skills, advice and guidance to help you achieve success.
- Study online from anywhere.
- Study at your own pace.
- Download and print your industry recognised certificate on successful completion.
Who can take the course?
Anyone who has an interest in learning more about this subject matter is encouraged to take the course. There are no entry requirements.
What is the structure of the course?
The course is broken down into bite-sized modules. You're free to spend as much or as little time as you feel necessary on each section, simply log in and out of the course at your convenience.
Where / when can I study the course?
You can study the course any time you like. Simply log in and out of the web-based course as often as you require. The course is compatible with all computers and most tablet devices etc. so you can even study while on the move! As long as you have access to the internet, you should be able to study anywhere that's convenient.
Is there a test at the end of the course?
Once you have completed all the modules there is a multiple choice test. The questions will be on a range of topics found within the modules. The test, like the course, is online and can be taken at a time and location of your choosing.
What if I don't pass the test?
If you don’t pass the test first time then you will get further opportunities to take the test again after extra study. There are no limits to the number of times you can take the test. All test retakes are included within the price of the course.
When will I receive my certificate?
Once you have completed your test you can log in to your account and download/print your certificate any time you need it.
How long does it take to complete the course?
We estimate that the entire program is likely to take around 2-4 hours to work through initially, but you may want to allow more time to repeat some areas. You should allow an additional 30 minutes for the end of course test.
- Define the concept of ‘person who lacks capacity’
- Describe how a person’s capacity to make decisions can vary and be different for different aspects of their life
- Discuss the core principles of the Mental Capacity Act (2005) including the presumption of capacity
- Describe different methods for helping and supporting individuals to make decisions and to participate in the decision-making process
- Discuss how it is sometimes necessary to act in a person’s best interests when the person lacks capacity to consent to treatment and care
- Describe how it is sometimes necessary to act in a person’s best interests when the person is unable to consent to treatment and care because of a temporary loss of capacity such as in an emergency situation
- Describe how advance decisions to refuse treatment are used to convey the wishes of an individual
- What consent is
- When consent should be sought which includes everyday interactions as well as more serious treatment, investigations and procedures
- How consent can be given
- The importance of effective communication when providing information about choices, risks, benefits, advantages and disadvantages etc.
- The process to follow when consent is refused
- Briefly describe the role of lasting power of attorney
Courses Include 12 Months Unlimited Online Access to:
Expert Online Training: Our courses use only the industry’s finest instructors. Unlike a live class, you can fast-forward, repeat or rewind all your lectures. This creates a personal learning experience and gives you all the benefit of hands-on training with the flexibility of doing it around your schedule 24/7.
Visual Demonstrations & Multimedia Presentations: Our courseware includes demonstrations and visual presentations that allow students to develop their skills based on real world scenarios explained by the instructor.
Navigation and Controls: These self-paced training programs are designed in a modular fashion to allow you the flexibility to work with expert level instruction anytime 24/7. All courses are arranged in defined sections with navigation controls allowing you to control the pace of your training. This allows students to learn at their own pace around their schedule.
Certificate of Completion: Upon completion of your training course, you will receive a Certificate of completion displaying your full name, course completed as well as the date of completion. You can print this out or save it digitally to showcase your accomplishment.
Need to train your Team? Contact Us for Discounts on Multiple Subscription Purchases.