Welcome to our online Clinical Observations training course for front-line healthcare and social care providers. All our online training courses, programmes and qualifications are accredited by the CPD Certification Service (CPDUK).
Patient clinical observations are sometimes referred to as “vital signs”; “patient observations” or just “Obs”. Clinical observations are physiological markers that help medical, nursing and other clinical staff to closely monitor patients, identify those patients that are deteriorating and escalate to senior staff so that appropriate interventions are commenced to stop the patient deteriorating further.
In this comprehensive online Clinical Observations training course, you will understand why, when and how observations are taken, the normal ranges for each clinical observation/vital sign and how to record as well as the action to be considered when you find observations outside of the normal ranges, including:
- Understand the anatomy and physiology that relates to clinical observations,
- Learn about normal and abnormal clinical observations/vital signs,
- Understand the clinical significance of anomalous vital sign readings, and
- Perform a range of clinical observations, including:
- Blood pressure,
- Respiratory rate,
- Oxygen saturation, and
- Blood glucose measurements.
Certificate duration: 2 years
Entry requirements: No entry restrictions
Recommended prerequisites: N/A
Assessment type: End of course assessment
Assessment pass mark – 80% needed to pass and gain a CPD certificate
Cost(s) of assessment and certification – All costs included in the course price
Who is the course for?
This online Clinical Observations training course should be completed by those who work in health and social care services, including:
- Registered Nurses,
- Healthcare Assistants (HCAs),
- Clinical Support Workers,
- Health and Social Care Support Workers,
- Nursing Auxiliaries,
- Allied Health Professional,
- Emergency Care Practitioners,
- NHS bank nurses, AHPs and care staff,
- Locum nurses and HCAs,
- Locum allied health professionals (AHPs),
- Agency nurses,
- Agency workers,
- Support workers, and
- Care assistants.
What is covered in this course?
This online Clinical Observations training course covers the following:
Who can take the course?
- Introduction into clinical observation skills,
- Basic clinical observations,
- Patient consent,
- Hand hygiene (infection prevention and control),
- Breathing/respiratory rate,
- Pulse rate (heart rate),
- Body temperature,
- Blood pressure,
- Oxygen saturation levels (and oxygen therapy),
- Peak flow testing,
- Blood glucose testing,
- Urine testing,
- Body mass index,
- Complete a basic pain assessment,
- Consciousness assessment (AVPU),
- Assessing patients’ skin,
- Supporting medication administration,
- Sepsis awareness, and
- Additional online learning resources.
Anyone who has an interest in learning more about this subject matter is encouraged to take the course. There are no entry requirements.
What is the structure of the course?
The course is broken down into bite-sized modules. You're free to spend as much or as little time as you feel necessary on each section, simply log in and out of the course at your convenience.
Where / when can I study the course?
You can study the course any time you like. Simply log in and out of the web-based course as often as you require. The course is compatible with all computers and most tablet devices etc. so you can even study while on the move! As long as you have access to the internet, you should be able to study anywhere that's convenient.
Is there a test at the end of the course?
Once you have completed all the modules there is a multiple choice test. The questions will be on a range of topics found within the modules. The test, like the course, is online and can be taken at a time and location of your choosing.
What if I don't pass the test?
If you don’t pass the test first time then you will get further opportunities to take the test again after extra study. There are no limits to the number of times you can take the test. All test retakes are included within the price of the course.
When will I receive my certificate?
Once you have completed your test you can log in to your account and download/print your certificate any time you need it.
How long does it take to complete the course?
We estimate that the entire program is likely to take around 2-4 hours to work through initially, but you may want to allow more time to repeat some areas. You should allow an additional 30 minutes for the end of course test.