Do you love working with animals and want to direct your career towards spending your day pampering and grooming them? Are you looking to secure a position in dog grooming or maybe start your own mobile business in your local area? Then the dog grooming diploma may be the right option for you.
Introduction to the dog grooming diploma
The dog grooming diploma is an information packed course that is broken down into easy to manage modules which you can study at your own pace and in the comfort of your own home. Each module focuses on different elements of dog grooming, providing you with the knowledge you need to make the animal comfortable, exceed at the job and achieve success moving forward.
The course is online, which enables you to study from anywhere at any time using any device. You get a lifetime access to your course modules, so you can revert back to them as and when needed with ease.
Once you have completed the course, you will be required to complete a multiple choice test. On successful completion you will be able to download and print your industry recognised certificate without delay. In the event you don't pass the test the first time, you will be given a second chance to take the test, once you have had the time to go over the course notes.
What you will learn
Each module is designed to provide you with valuable knowledge and insights about the industry to help you achieve success in your dog grooming career. The course will teach you the following:
- Learn why pet grooming is important, what equipment you need and your personality when dealing with animals.
- Get to understand the history behind pet grooming.
- Understand the anatomy of dogs, basic health, parasites and maintaining health.
- The importance of a pre-grooming health assessment and keeping clients updated on their pet's health.
- Learn about the various skin and health disorders, along with the best way to groom a dog.
- Get valuable information on starting your own pet grooming business from identifying if it is the right choice for you to creating a business plan and more.
- Learn how to train dogs to enjoy a bath, steps leading up to a bath and bathing a fearful dog.
- Know how to set up your grooming area, workstation requirements, tools you will need, lighting and airflow.
- Learn when a dog should be referred to a vet.
- Learn the best way to bath a dog from the clothes you should be wearing to getting the dog in the bath.
- Learn the best way to dry a dog. Get an understanding on why shaking is so important, identify the best methods from air and towel drying to drying between the pads on the paws and more.
- Understand detailed grooming, such as nail clipping, eyes, ears, teeth and feet.
- Get a good understanding why you need to keep your workstation neat and tidy and why appearance is so important.
- Learn the various grooming emergencies from untangling knots to working with rescue dogs to emergencies and more.
- Know the law. Know what is expected of you as a business owner in the dog grooming industry from first aid to basic health and safety.
There are numerous benefits to taking a dog grooming course online and securing your certification. The benefits include:
- Enjoy the convenience of superior online support throughout your studies
- Study using any device, as long as it is connected to the internet
- Study from anywhere, on the bus on your way home from a full day at work or when you get home and you are relaxing on the sofa.
- Study and still work a full day with ease.
- Study at your own pace and in your own time. You can take a week to complete the course or a month or more, this is down to your personal preference and time you have available.
- Fast track your career in the pet grooming industry.
- Boost your chances of opening your own successful grooming business.
Who can take the course?
Anyone who has an interest in learning more about this subject matter is encouraged to take the course. There are no entry requirements to take the course.
What is the structure of the course?
The course is broken down into 15 individual modules. Each module takes between 20 and 90 minutes on average to study. Although you are free to spend as much or as little time as you feel necessary on each module, simply log in and out of the course at your convenience.
Where / when can I study the course?
You can study the course any time you like. Simply log in and out of the web based course as often as you require. The course is compatible with all computers, tablet devices and smart phones so you can even study while on the move!
Is there a test at the end of the course?
Once you have completed all modules there is a multiple choice test. The questions will be on a range of topics found within the modules. The test, like the course, is online and can be taken a time and location of your choosing.
What is the pass mark for the final test?
The pass mark for the test is 70%. If you don’t pass the test first time you will get further opportunities to take the test again after extra study. There are no limits to the number of times you can take the test. All test retakes are included within the price of the course.
When will I receive my certificate?
Once you have completed your test you can log in to your account and download/print your certificate any time you need it.
How long does it take to complete the course?
We estimate that the course will take about 10 hours to complete in total, plus an additional 30 minutes for the end of course test.
- Module 1: Introduction
- Module 2 : History of Dog Grooming
- Module 3 : Anatomy and Health, Parasites, Infections & Zoonotic diseases in dogs
- Module 4 : Pre-grooming Health Assessment
- Module 5 : Coat and Skin Disorders and How to Groom a Dog
- Module 6 : Getting Started
- Module 7 : Animal Training, Dealing with Difficult Dogs & Training for Grooming
- Module 8 : Prepping the Work Area
- Module 9 : Pre-bath Preparation
- Module 10 : How to Bath a Dog
- Module 11 : Drying a Dog
- Module 12 : Detail Grooming (Clipping, Scissoring, Eyes, Ears, Teeth, Feet, Bottoms)
- Module 13 : Cleaning Your Working Environment
- Module 14 : Grooming Specialities
- Module 15: Law in the Workplace, First Aid and Emergency Care
Need to train your Team? Contact Us for Discounts on Multiple Subscription Purchases.
Course Access: Lifetime
Exams Included: Yes
Compatibility: All major browsers / devices