Child Protection Certificate Course Description
In the UK alone, one in five children have endured severe mistreatment, including various forms of child abuse. The key to preventing future incidents, as well as helping the victims of abuse, is understanding more about it. This knowledge is crucial to have, if there are any children in your life, regardless of your profession.
Those engaged in occupations that deal directly with children have a special obligation to look out for the children in their lives, while the rest of us have a moral obligation to protect the children whom we know.
This course goes into detail regarding child protection. We begin by giving you an introduction to child protection, including the rights that children have, as laid down by UK law and the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child.
We also talk about the various pieces of legislation and government guidance in place that discuss child protection, the safeguarding of children, and the roles and responsibilities that agencies play in this process.
Next, we review the types of child abuse that may be encountered, along with the possible indicators of each type of abuse.
Finally, we review the various ways in which parents and other caregivers can work, to actively protect children from harm.
You Will Learn:
- The importance of child protection across every occupation
- What to do, if you suspect that a child whom you know is being abused or harmed or is in need of protection
- The specific pieces of legislation and government guidance that you can turn to, for more information, in the case of specific incidents
- Additional information on the types of discrimination that children in the UK frequently face
- The specific steps that parents and caregivers can take, to keep children safe, both online and in public
Benefits of Studying This Course
- Understanding when you should contact emergency services regarding a child, and which service is most appropriate
- Becoming more confident in your role as a caregiver or an individual who is actively engaged in a child’s life
- Being able to recognize potential cases of abuse sooner, so that you can immediately seek help for the child
- Understanding more about lesser-known types of abuse, such as emotional abuse and discriminatory abuse
- Feeling better as a parent in terms of your decisions regarding your child’s freedom, both online and in the real world
Who can take the course?
Anyone who has an interest in learning more about this subject matter is encouraged to take the course. There are no entry requirements to take the course.
What is the structure of the course?
The course is broken down into 4 individual modules. Each module takes between 20 and 90 minutes on average to study. Although you are free to spend as much or as little time as you feel necessary on each module, simply log in and out of the course at your convenience.
Where / when can I study the course?
You can study the course any time you like. Simply log in and out of the web-based course as often as you require. The course is compatible with all computers, tablet devices, and smartphones so you can even study while on the move!
Is there a test at the end of the course?
Once you have completed all modules there is a multiple-choice test. The questions will be on a range of topics found within the modules. The test, like the course, is online and can be taken a time and location of your choosing.
What is the pass mark for the final test?
The pass mark for the test is 70%. If you don’t pass the test the first time you will get further opportunities to take the test again after extra study. There are no limits to the number of times you can take the test. All test retakes are included within the price of the course.
When will I receive my certificate?
Once you have completed your test you can log in to your account and download/print your certificate any time you need it.
How long does it take to complete the course?
We estimate that the course will take about 3 hours to complete in total, plus an additional 30 minutes for the end of course test.